Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Pro8mm film stock? Favorites?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member MadFor3D's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 14th, 2001
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    O.k. I'm going to pick up a roll of Tri-X I shot with my new BEAULIEU 5008 camera. Not really new, almost everything on it doesn't work but I got it as a trade in.

    Anyhow, provided it worked, I'm thinking of testing out some of the Pro8mm stock. Is it worth it?

    Might the new KODAK Vision 200T be enough?
    How about the KODACHROME 40? I haven't tried either, but I believe they are cheaper.

    I just want to test out some color film to determine if its acceptable for a music video project I'm planning, before I shell out the $500 to have my camera upgraded to crystal sync.

    Anyone shot with the Pro8mm stocks? Are they really that much better?

    Thanks,

    M http://www.MadFor3D.com

  2. #2
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    KODAK Vision 200T is a colour reversal film, so it can only be viewed if you get it converted to VHS/SVHS etc through telecine i belive, may need someone to give you a better explantion, unless of course you all ready know that in which case thats cool

    Kodachrome 40 is good but only for decent daylight and gives that retro stylee film look, kodak vision 200t is the pro stuff

    I would suggest Kodak Ektachrome VNF becasue that a high quality colour film that can be used in low light where as kodachrome 40 cant

    ------------------
    Jim

  3. #3
    Inactive Member jocko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2nd, 2001
    Posts
    90
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've used EXR 50D and vision 200T,320T and 500T..the only thing I can tell you is shoot a test..I personaly like the stocks..cause I use them in 16mm..alot of people don't like them..I shoot music video's only..at this point in my life..I really enjoy shooting them,It's fun to work with independent record labels..and bands..their not as jaded as the big labels..and other industry types...if you are going to shoot K-40..listen to Matt Pacini..he's shot alot and knows how to rate the stock and light it..to get a nice saturated look!

    Neil
    JOCKO FILMS

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Hanthx's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 27th, 2000
    Posts
    420
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    Vision 200t in not a reversal film, its actually a negetive=transfer to another medium. Reversal films (Kodachrome 40, Ektachrome, Plus-x, Tri-x) are films that can be projected after they have been processed=positive image. Cool!
    I enjoy shooting Kodachrome 40, but have not shot ektachrome as of yet. I have not heard many good things about ektachrome, so Im a little leary.
    I have shot K40 in the Dark, with minimal lighting, and find that it still produces AWsome pictures!!
    Saturated color, with plenty of contrast, you can't go wrong with K40...unless you over and underexpose it.
    Haven't shot the negetive stocks yet, but all in good time.

    Good luck!
    Sc;OTT

  5. #5
    Inactive Member 8th Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2001
    Posts
    112
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Mad,
    You've asked a question that could get you a lot of different opinions.
    It may all depend on the look you want for your videos.
    I've pesonally shot about 16 rolls of pro8 neg. and have had some really good results and some less than great results. Not the stock's fault as much as me learning what can and can't be done with them.
    I personally won't shoot 800asa again if I can help it. It is just a sea of grain for me.Even 500asa was that way. Anything that went into black became a grain-o-rama. That didn't seem to happen in pro8's old demo reel.
    But maybe that's what you want.
    I've had good luck with the 200asa, I think it cuts together with the slower film better.
    You should see their reel to give you some idea of what it can do for you. I think if I were shooting music videos I'd use neg. stock because it gives you more to work with in the rank transfer process.
    Better latitude etc.
    But I still think it should be less expensive.If you can swing it, try one of their 4 roll specials with a 50d,200t,500t,and 100t or 250d.
    P

  6. #6
    Inactive Member miguelito's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 28th, 2001
    Posts
    26
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    If you like the b@w look i would sugest that
    you try a roll of plus-x. It is a 50 speed
    film but has a much finer grain
    structure than the tri-x. Over the years I've
    shot around 80 rolls of the stuff. I love it.
    I kind of see it as the b@w version of
    kodachrome.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There is a difference, (so the still camera photographers tell me) and it's because gel filters are better optically than glass filters. I wouldn't worry about it. Just get a good one, like a Tiffen, and you should be OK. Hoever, I'd like to add that things are MORE critical in Super 8, not less, like the last posting said.
    You have much less leeway in S8 than in larger formats, unless you're referring to just not caring as much, i.e. treating S8 as an ametuer format, which I don't.
    Matt Pacini

  8. #8
    Inactive Member MadFor3D's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 14th, 2001
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, I'm thinking of shooting some K40 and Vision 200T next. Have done a bunch of Plus-X and Tri-X. Want to try some color next. Also, want to try a Rank transfer.

    I'm thinking of doing the transfer here. http://www.thetransferstation.com/

    Question, on my camera the internal daylight filter is broken. I've read somewhere that using an external one on the lens doesn't give as good of results. Is there a lot of difference?

    Thanks for all the replies.

    -M

  9. #9
    Inactive Member 8th Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2001
    Posts
    112
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ive never heard that about an external filter.
    I have an angenieux 6-90 zoom that requires an external filter and I think it's on of the better lens options for my beaulieu.
    I'd be surprised if us mortals could tell the difference. Especially with S8.
    P

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Buy neg stock straight from Kodak--Stay away from those shits at Super8 Sound you will be much more happy in the long run. Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •